Ancient warriors in India drank leaf extracts of Moringa oleifera - a multipurpose tree also known as "nature's medicine cabinet" - to energize their bodies and relieve pain and stress caused by battle. They also ate the seed pods (fruit) and leaves of Moringa to maintain healthy skin and mental fitness. (1, 2) Today these ancient plants are not as widely used or relied upon as they once were, however in their search for ways to improve human health, researchers are beginning to rediscover the long forgotten benefits of ancient plants like Moringa.
7 Health Benefits of Moringa
Due to it's abundance of nutrients and phytonutrients adding moringa to your diet can potentially:
1. Promote a healthy digestive system - High levels of naturally occurring B vitamins and fiber in Moringa may be helpful in supporting healthy digestion and bowel regularity.
2. Promote healthy cardiovascular function- Moringa contains a large range of phytonutrients and antioxidants that support healthy heart function.
3. Support healthy immune system - The protective properties of the antioxidants in moringa can provide support to your immune system. Moringa also contains abundant levels of Iron and vitamin A which are also necessary for optimal immune function. (21)
4. Support healthy eye function - Moringa is naturally high in Vitamins A, C, and E. These powerful nutrients can protect your cells from free radicals which are known to contribute to oxidative stress. Studies have linked oxidative stress to the onset of many eye issues (20)
5. Support healthy brain function - Oxidative stress is known to contribute to the loss of neurons, impaired cognitive functions and the onset of neurodegenerative problems. Antioxidants can neutralize free radicals and protect your brain cells from oxidative damage. That is why increasing your levels of antioxidants with the help of foods like moringa is important for your brain health.
6. Support healthy liver function - certain prescription and over the counter medications can damage the liver over time. However, a study in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences suggests that moringa can provide protection to your liver through its high level of antioxidants. Moringa may also promote the activity of antioxidant enzymes in the liver. (19)
7. Support healthy energy levels - Moringa leaves are loaded with critical nutrients including amino acids, carbohydrates, and fats that can help you maintain balanced energy levels throughout the day.